Wednesday, November 11, 2009

"I am dark, but lovely."

*quick overview of Song of Solomon and the characters*
*taken from the NKJV Bible*
“The Song of Songs (Solomon) is a love song written by Solomon and abounding in metaphors and oriental imagery. Historically, it depicts the wooing and wedding of a shepherdess by King Solomon, and the joys and heartaches of wedded love.
The book reads like scenes in a drama with three main speakers: the bride (the Shulamite), the king (Solomon), and a chorus (daughters of Jerusalem).”


Have you ever considered what it would be like to be loved by a king? We’re just simple people. Why would a king ever love us? I think there would be some identity issues going on if that were to happen. Sure, in the beginning we’d be all excited and in love with him. But after awhile, reality would set in. “Who am I that you love me? There are princesses out there that are better than me, a simple peasant girl. One day you’ll wake up and realize I’m not worth it.” Sound familiar? I know I’ve thought that in my relationship with God before. He is a King, and He has chosen us and desires us.

So, in order to be able to receive His love, we need to come to terms with who we are and where we have ended up - simple peasants in the King’s chambers.

Song of Songs (Solomon) 1:5, 6
“I am dark, but lovely, o daughters of Jerusalem, like the tents of Kedar, like the curtains of Solomon. Do not look upon me, because I am dark, because the sun has tanned me. My mother’s sons were angry with me; they made me the keeper of the vineyards, but my own vineyard I have not kept.”

This woman is dark and tanned. In those days it was the shepherdesses and the keeper of the vineyards - those working outdoors - that were dark. She obviously isn’t royalty and has lived a life that required her to work outside. A light complexion, something this girl didn’t have, was a sign of beauty in those days.

So, here we have this girl who has been chosen by the king. She’s not exceptionally beautiful by the sound of it, and yet she’s been chosen by him. She acknowledges that she shouldn’t be considered lovely, but then goes on to state that she is lovely.

She compares herself to the ‘tents of Kedar and the curtains of Solomon’. The tribe of Kedar were a people that lived in the desert. Their tents, being exposed to the sun, were dark and uncomely. And yet, she compares herself to the ‘curtains of Solomon’ as well. Imagine the curtains in a king’s palace. I’m thinking they were pretty beautiful!

I think the Shulamite is in a place of saying to the other girls in Jerusalem, “Look, I know I’m not pretty. I know I don’t deserve this. But, he loves me and has chosen me, therefore I am lovely.” It is through his love that she begins to see worth and beauty in herself. If she never accepted his love in that way, she would still be with the king, but it would be out of duty and not out of love. (this is why I blog. I haven’t understood all this before, I didn’t even understand it all before I started typing. So, since I’m learning this as I go, I hope it makes sense to whoever reads this)

Wow. Have we really allowed God’s love to change us? Have we let it sink in that, the creator of the Universe loves us? And if it has sunk in, have we accepted it? Can I look at myself and say, “I may not be royalty by birth, I’m not deserving of being chosen by Him, but because He has chosen me I am beautiful!” If we really let that be true in our lives, I guess we’re done with insecurity and worthlessness. It would no longer matter when satan came and started saying, “Have you looked at yourself lately? Do you remember what you’ve done? You are so unworthy of this and it’s all gonna end one day.” We should be looking him right back in the face and saying, “Yeah, I know who I was. But, I also know I am. He loves me, and this romance isn’t going to end unless I leave. And I’m not leaving. I know how He sees me and I know I'm secure."

So today, let’s let the truth of God’s love for us sink in. If we are with God and loving Him out of duty, let that change today through an understand and acceptance of His love. I recommend reading all of chapter 1 today and seeing the beautiful romance between these two, and let it be a reflection of our romance with God. When we get rid of 'duty' and let our love become real, this romance is going to go so much deeper and change who we are.

Song of Songs (Solomon) 1:15-16
The Beloved
“Behold, you are fair, my love! Behold, you are fair! You have dove’s eyes.
The Shulamite
“Behold, you are handsome, my beloved! Yes, pleasant!”

(If you have any thoughts on these, or other verses in chapter 1, please share them. I would love to hear what God is speaking to others through this book as well)

No comments:

Post a Comment