Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Great Romancer

For the past week I have been out of work. Not working means my mind wanders to many different places. Some of the thoughts have gotten me excited about things, and some have caused me anxiety.

While the time off of work has been stressful for me, I'm also thankful for it. It is allowing me time to pick up my violin again, something I should have done a couple of months ago; it’s allowing me to get things accomplished, and to seek God. While I haven't been devoting as much time as I probably should have to God, I have been spending more time with Him this week than I have in the past couple of months.

So, here are some things I have felt God speaking through this time. I feel like God is wanting to strip me of everything, and just get me back to Him. How many songs have been written about, "You are all I need?" How many of us are actually ok with that though? I mean seriously, what if we lost everything? Typically when we lose something we begin to point our finger at God and tell Him He is being unfair. We get angry with Him and we get hurt. What happened to us singing, "All I need is You?"

I'm not saying I'm there yet. I've been upset with God lately and I've asked Him why He's making things difficult. But, maybe everything that's going on is to test out how much my worship is going to overflow into my life. Will the words I sing remain just that - words? Or will they become something real that I believe and practice in my life?

The other thing I have seen through this time is, God is the greatest romancer of all times! Yes, He's taking me through some trying times right now, but you know why He's doing it? Because He loves me and His heart is yearning for me!!! Wow!!! I think all of us yearn to find someone who will do anything to be with us, push through any obstacle to be with us. Well, that's what God does. He looks at our life and says, "Work has you too preoccupied and I miss my time with you. So, I think you need a little break from work." And He'll do that with anything in life - not just work.

Have you read Song of Songs? It's incredible!!! When I was younger I remember liking Song of Songs, but I would rarely read it because I was a little shocked by it's content. I remember thinking, "How the heck did this make it into the Bible?!" As I've grown and matured though, I've come to appreciate the beauty of it. I believe it was God who placed a love for that book in me. I think He was wooing me even at that young age. He was awakening something in me that said, "I want to be loved like this," and He was saying, "I love you like that!!"

I feel like God is calling me to a journey through Song of Songs right now. So, instead of making this long blog longer, I invite you to join me on the journey. For the next 8 days I will read a chapter a day and post thoughts on the day’s chapter. If you are interested in being wooed by the ultimate Love, the one who created you, then grab a Bible and read the story of God’s romance. And please, share your thoughts on the day’s chapter on here as well!

Song of Songs 2:10
“My beloved spoke, and said to me: ‘Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment